Graduate Program

Environmental Systems Graduate Program

The Environmental Resources Engineering Department houses two options in the Environmental Systems Graduate Program. Each option leads to a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Environmental Systems.

Energy Technology and Policy Graduate Program

The Energy Technology and Policy (ETaP) option is an interdisciplinary program for students interested in issues ranging from renewable energy engineering to climate change mitigation and from international development to energy policy in California. The program offers a rigorous curriculum for students who are interested to make a difference in these important areas of work. The ETaP option is a thesis based Masters that can completed in approximately 2 years following a faculty recommended course curriculum.

Environmental Resources Engineering Graduate Program

The Environmental Resources Engineering (ERE) option of the Environmental Systems Graduate Program emphasizes the application of engineering skills to planning, design, and management problems involving environmental resources. Three general areas of research activity are available in the program, Water Quality, Water Resources and Renewable Energy Resources. The ERE option emphasizes a project based masters degree that can be completed in 3-semesters for each area of research activity.

NOTICE: ERE and ETaP graduate students from the states listed below are now eligible to attend HSU while paying "in-state" fees. This greatly reduces the cost of education for students from these states. More information is available on the "Funding Opportunities" page.  Eligible states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

How to Apply

So environmental resources engineering sounds interesting, but you are still not sure if HSU is right for you? Explore what HSU has to offer to both freshman and transfer students.


For paperwork and forms such as major and minor contracts, course planning guides, semester schedules, course rotations, office hours and more, visit our forms page!